Like their predecessor models, the three 111 series models were available with the hydraulic automatic clutch “Hydrak”, only until the beginning of 1962. A fully-fledged automatic transmission, which had been developed for years until it was fit for serial production, was at first available for the 220 SEb only from April 1961. However, from August 1962 it could be ordered for an additional cost of DM 1,400 for the 220 b and 220 Sb, too. In contrast to the Borg-Warner automatic transmission, which had been used from 1956 in the 300 c and from 1957 in the successor model 300 d, Daimler-Benz' own new construction did not have a torque converter but a hydraulic clutch, which had the advantage that power losses were low. The secondary 4-gear planetary drive consisted of two planetary sets, three multi-disk clutches and three belt brakes.