The first exhibits can be found in Legend Room 1.
For Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach, the riding car was an early test vehicle for their small high-speed internal combustion engine, the so-called Grandfather Clock. The riding car – of which you see a replica here – was not only the first petrol-engined vehicle but also the world’s first motorcycle.
This fire-fighting pump was one of the first of its kind with a petrol engine. While it was still drawn by horses, its water pump was driven by a seven-horsepower (5.1 kW) two-cylinder engine. To generate its pump output of 80 gallons per minute by means of manpower, 32 firemen had previously been required.
The next exhibits can be found in Collection Room 2.
The O 10000 saw duty in the 1930s as an urban bus and long-distance coach and impressed people by its very size. The exhibited vehicle served the Austrian Postal Service as a parcel truck after World War II, plying the Salzburg – Vienna route. Later on, it was converted into a mobile post office which saw use at events like the Salzburg Festival or as a temporary post office.
The special high-speed transporter for racing cars was a one-of-a-kind specimen built by the Mercedes-Benz testing department. The racing department used the transporter, also called the “Blue Wonder”, to chauffeur its racing cars in 1955 – at speeds of up to 106 mph. As the original no longer exists, the vehicle was completely reconstructed with the help of documents from the archives.