But the vehicles still existed – they were essential means of mobility and continued to be operated as well as they could. However, petrol was hard to come by. There was, however, an alternative. Production of the G 136 gas generating plant, developed for the 170 V, began in Gaggenau in 1943. Admittedly, they did not look very pretty, but the end justified the means. The engine and mechanical systems remain unchanged. But now, instead of petrol, the engine burned fuel gas derived from wood. Loaded with around 24 kilograms of charcoal, a vehicle featuring such a unit covered 100 to 130 kilometres. A brief look ahead to the time after the end of the Second World War: petrol remained scarce after the war, yet wood was available in plenty. And so the wood-gas system was once again produced from January 1946.