Better documented, however, is the history of the Daimler buses that operated from 1898 onward on the cross-country route between Künzelsau and Mergentheim in what, back then, was the Kingdom of Württemberg. Two Daimler buses ran initially on this 30-kilometer route, which were soon joined by a third. They were powered by a 10 hp two-cylinder Phoenix engine. There was room for 10 people on board, travelling at a maximum speed of 20 km/h. Their bodies resembled those used for mail coaches.