Mercedes-Benz 300 W 186 and W 189 (1951 - 1962).
The Mercedes-Benz 300 (W 186) is today known primarily by its nickname, the “Adenauer Mercedes”.
Konrad Adenauer, the first chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, was among the first users of this new flagship Mercedes-Benz model of 1951 and was henceforth only ever to be seen being chauffeured around in a Mercedes-Benz 300. On being launched at the first IAA International Motor Show in Frankfurt in April 1951, six years after the end of World War II, the Mercedes-Benz 300 heralded, like scarcely any other vehicle, Germany’s return to the international automotive market.
- Advanced six-cylinder engine with overhead camshaft
- Mechanically controlled intake manifold petrol injection (from 1957)
- Safety conical-pin locks to prevent the doors from springing open
- Electrically operated torsion bar suspension to adjust the vehicle level under heavy loads
- Heating with blower as standard
- Air conditioning as an optional extra (from 1958)
- Power-assisted steering as an optional extra (from 1958)