What was that, the car brand with the four rings was part of Daimler-Benz AG? Between April 1958 and December 1964, that was precisely the case. The takeover of Auto Union made the headlines at the time. After all, in the 1930s the two companies had been competitors for sales figures and racing victories.
After the Second World War, making a new start under completely different circumstances was not easy for either company. Daimler-Benz continued to be based in Stuttgart. Auto Union relocated its headquarters from Chemnitz to Ingolstadt. When the conditions normalised towards the end of the 1950s, major shareholder Friedrich Flick actively proposed an idea: as the two model ranges complemented each other, Daimler-Benz should acquire a majority shareholding in Auto Union.