The S-Class – deeply rooted in the history of brand.
The unique tradition of the S-Class came to life at the Retro Classics 2013 in Stuttgart in exhibits from all eras of Mercedes-Benz premium and luxury vehicles and the predecessor brands. The selection of exhibits underscored how deeply the S-Class is rooted in the history of the brand – far beyond the more recent model series history that began in the 1950s. Mercedes-Benz Classic brought a particularly spectacular showpiece from the Mercedes-Benz Museum to the Retro Classics 2013: the Mercedes-Simplex 60 HP from 1904, which was the touring saloon for Emil Jellinek, businessman and father of Mercedes Jellinek, whose name the motor car bears. Also on display from the company’s collection were a Typ Nürburg 460 from 1929 and a Typ 770 “Großer Mercedes” dating back to 1931.
The brand clubs enhanced the vehicle exhibit with motor cars from before World War II such as the Typ Mannheim or the Typ 500 K. Exhibits from the more recent vehicle history were also represented.
The Classic division of the world’s oldest automaker and the motor clubs of the brand with the three-pointed star had a strong joint presence on 2400 square metres of exhibition space. “This year Mercedes-Benz Classic will join forces with the officially recognised motor clubs of the brand in hall 7,” said Michael Bock, Head of Mercedes-Benz Classic.
“This joint presence is important to use, both with regard to content and to physical proximity because it underlines the strong ties of Mercedes-Benz Classic to the highly committed members of the brand clubs.”
Classic commercial vehicles made up another part of the exhibition. Mercedes-Benz presented 14 historical trucks, three tippers from modern times and two heavy-duty trucks – a complete tour of the history of construction vehicles of the post-war era. The line-up of exhibits ranged from the “Big Boys” of the economic miracle and reconstruction in the ‘50s, the long-nosed and round bonnet trucks and the first cab-over-engine LP trucks of the ‘60s to the “New Generation” of the ‘70s and ‘80s. The first trucks were fired up – using petrol from the pharmacy in those days – some 117 years ago in Bad Cannstatt, where in 1896 Gottlieb Daimler built his motor car for the transport industry. Just one year later, the Daimler-Motorengesellschaft introduced a transport carriage with a payload of 5 tonnes.
Daimler was already making promises back then: “You can rely on my trucks”. Today this has become a promise recognised around the world: “Trucks you can trust”.