The demand for the universal genius soon outstripped the production capacities in Göppingen. Starting in June 1951, the Daimler-Benz truck plant in Gaggenau, Baden, Germany, became the new home of the Unimog. A fitting place: the first off-roader made in Gaggenau dated way back to 1907.
The Unimog models became a sales hit during the years of the economic miracle. In its 24 years of production, 45,336 units of the U 416 were sold – the Unimog model series with the second-highest sales after the Unimog S. It was used for an accordingly diverse range of applications: as an aid convoy vehicle, on the rails in road-rail specification or even as a patient transport ambulance. In addition, there were variants as a tractor unit or conversions to three-axle vehicles and tracked vehicles.